Renton, Wash.-based Wizards of the Coast held a pre-recorded livestream on Thursday morning to disclose a number of huge upcoming initiatives for Dungeons & Dragons, together with the long-awaited return of the Spelljammer and Dragonlance settings for D&D.
The livestream is the primary in what guarantees to be a collection of “D&D Directs,” the place Wizards straight briefs its viewers on its subsequent initiatives.
The lead story from the Direct, or at the least what was given probably the most time general, was the revival of Jeff Grubb’s 1989 D&D marketing campaign setting Spelljammer. A brand new three-book hardcover set, Adventures in House, is popping out on Aug. 16, which formally updates the setting to D&D‘s fifth version.
Spelljammer may be adquately described as “Dungeons & Dragons in house,” the place gamers can sail between worlds with the assistance of magically-driven ships, and could also be best-known to newer D&D gamers because the collection that gave the world the big house hamster.
Within the unique model of Spelljammer, its imaginative and prescient of house consisted of crystalline spheres separated by oceans of phlogiston. The remake replaces that cosmology with the Astral Airplane, the place you may journey between the worlds of D&D‘s explicit multiverse.
Adventures in House consists of The Astral Adventurer’s Information, which comprises the small print wanted for Spelljammer as a 5e marketing campaign setting; Boo’s Astral Menagerie, which introduces “over 60” new creatures that may be discovered and fought in house; and Mild of Xaryxis, a brand new hardcover journey set within the Astral Airplane for characters of ranges 5 to eight.
Notably, the brand new Spelljammer books include guidelines for six new playable races, together with the insectoid thri-kreen, astral elves, and a barely reimagined model of the giff.
The unique run of Spelljammer had been discontinued by the point Wizards of the Coast purchased the rights to D&D in 1997, and outdoors of the occasional cameo, had but to be revisited. This makes Adventures in House the primary new Spelljammer books in over 25 years, and the primary official Spelljammer books from Wizards.
In accordance with venture lead Chris Perkins, he’s wished to revisit Spelljammer for years, however there have been different issues that had greater precedence. Perkins beforehand ran a Spelljammer marketing campaign for 5 years, beginning in 1990.
The brand new Spelljammer will seem alongside a brand new set of Icons of the Realms minis from Wizkids, which can embrace an enormous house hamster.
Equally, Wizards ended the Direct by exhibiting a brief animated trailer for an upcoming new recreation e-book within the long-dormant Dragonlance setting, narrated by Shoreh Aghdashloo (The Expanse).
This does cease a bit in need of a full revival like Spelljammer acquired, nevertheless. As an alternative, late this 12 months, Wizards plans to launch Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an journey e-book that’s set early in Dragonlance continuity, through the Conflict of the Lance, in addition to a brand new wargame, Warriors of Krynn.
The again half of 2022 goes to be huge for Dragonlance followers regardless. Dragonlance creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are returning to the setting with a brand new trilogy of novels, starting with Dragons of Deceit in August 2022. Their earlier lawsuit in opposition to Wizards of the Coast, which alleged breach of contract, was quietly resolved in January 2021.
Wizards took the Direct as a possibility to launch new official numbers for the D&D franchise, which it claims celebrated its ninth consecutive 12 months of progress in 2021. As D&D‘s fifth version heads into its tenth 12 months of publication, Wizards reported that “greater than 80%” of D&D followers performed the sport just about over the course of 2021, through platforms comparable to Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and the recently-acquired D&D Past.
The 2021 sourcebook Fizban’s Treasury of Every thing was Wizards’ best-selling D&D launch for the 12 months, whereas The Wild Past the Witchlight is now the only fastest-selling pre-made journey in D&D historical past. By means of comparability, Wizards claims that Witchlight offered extra copies within the month of its launch than 2016’s Curse of Strahd did for the primary few years it was out.
Different Dungeons & Dragons information from Wizards’ first Direct included:
- Journeys By way of the Radiant Citadel is scheduled for launch in June. That is an anthology of 13 stand-alone adventures set in 16 brand-new places. In accordance with the venture lead, Ajit George, Journeys is the primary D&D e-book “conceived, created, and written fully by PoCs [people of color],” so a lot of its places are impressed by real-world cultures that beforehand didn’t have a whole lot of fictional parallels within the D&D multiverse. The included journey “Wages of Vice,” for instance, is about in a brand new realm that’s evocative of the Caribbean.
- Two new equipment referred to as Marketing campaign Circumstances will arrive in shops on July 19, aimed toward Dungeon Masters who do a whole lot of gaming on the highway or at conventions. The 2 units, Creatures and Terrain, present simple and moveable methods to arrange gaming boards and maps on your D&D recreation, that includes reusable plastic “clings” on your monster tokens and hexes.
- The Dungeons & Dragons film, now formally titled Honor Amongst Thieves, remains to be on monitor for launch in March 2023. It stars Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, and Michelle Rodriguez in an journey set alongside the Sword Coast within the Forgotten Realms.
- A brand new live-play collection is about to debut on April 27, through the official D&D YouTube and Twitch channels. Legends of the Multiverse will broadcast as a collection of 1-hour pre-recorded episodes, starring Deborah Ann Woll, B. Dave Walters, Gina Darling, Meagan Kenreck, and Todd Kenreck. Every story arc within the collection includes a rotating collection of Dungeon Masters, with guest-stars that embrace Aabria Iyengar, Ginny Di, Anna Prosser, Travis McElroy, and Sungwon Cho.
- A brand new starter set for D&D, Dragons of Stomwreck Isle, was beforehand revealed as a part of a Hasbro press launch in Feb. Whereas it doesn’t have a launch date but, it was briefly proven through the Direct, and has been confirmed to ship at an MSRP of $19.99. It would embrace a rulebook, cube, character sheets, and a pre-made journey.
- Larian Studios’ Baldur’s Gate 3, the most recent sequel within the landmark collection of D&D-based laptop video games,will formally go away Early Entry on Steam and Google Stadia in 2023.
- Wizkids additionally introduced a brand new board recreation, D&D Onslaught, which pits two rival adventuring events in opposition to each other and a ruined maintain filled with monsters. It’s scheduled to return out in October, and can embrace 21 fully-painted miniatures.