Right here’s a rundown of the highest life sciences and well being information throughout the Pacific Northwest this week.
Adaptive earnings, Lyme illness take a look at: Two months after streamlining its operations and shedding about 100 workers, Adaptive Biotechnologies reported its first quarter earnings this week. The corporate pulled in $38.6 million, up 0.5% from the year-ago quarter. It additionally revealed information on its T-Detect take a look at for Lyme illness, saying it was twice as delicate for detecting the illness as present exams (54% vs 30% detection). Adaptive expects the take a look at to be prepared for the 2022 Lyme season, which usually peaks in the summertime.
Startup information: Seattle-based Heard, which helps ease the executive load for psychological well being suppliers, raised $10 million. One other new startup, Asha AI, launched an app to assist the aged with medical care.
Amazon reimburses journey bills: Amazon instructed workers it would reimburse as much as $4,000 of journey bills yearly for workers who want to hunt medical care, together with abortions, greater than 100 miles from their residence. The information of Amazon’s new profit got here simply earlier than Politico revealed a narrative a few leaked draft opinion from the U.S. Supreme Court docket that might overturn Roe vs. Wade.
Learn on extra life sciences and well being information within the Pacific Northwest this week.
Extra biotech information:
- The funding agency that not too long ago made a $773 million supply to purchase Zymeworks has introduced on Alan Barge as an advisor. The previous head of oncology at AstraZeneca provides biopharma clout to All Blue Capital’s non-binding bid. The agency’s different investments are primarily tech corporations like Lyft and Pinterest.
- Seattle-based Umoja Biopharma launched a brand new CAR T cell immunotherapy trial at Seattle Youngsters’s for sufferers with osteosarcoma, a kind of bone most cancers. The corporate’s strategy tags tumor cells with a molecule referred to as fluorescein. Sufferers are handled with therapeutic CAR T cells that in flip acknowledge fluorescein.
- Athira Pharma’s billionaire investor Richard Kayne continued his push to oust CEO Mark Litton, proffering a alternative: Ronald Krall, former chief medical officer of GlaxoSmithKline. Kayne is in search of a board seat together with ex-Novartis CFO George Bickerstaff, and beforehand stated the board “erred in unexpectedly changing” earlier CEO Leen Kawas. Kawas resigned final fall after an investigation of knowledge integrity in papers she co-authored and has since launched an funding fund with Kayne. In the meantime, NPR’s BiotechNation podcast chatted with Litton in regards to the firm’s strategy to growing Alzheimer’s illness remedies, and STAT Information highlighted its use of EEG information to evaluate scientific responses.
- Fred Hutch researchers George Laszlo and Roland Walter are growing anti-cancer medication that ship radiation to particular cells. Of their newest examine they showcase brokers that concentrate on leukemia cells by way of an antibody and ship a linked radionuclide.
- The hundreds of genetic variants linked to autoimmune illness have been honed down to these almost certainly to have an impact. Researchers on the Brotman Baty Institute and different establishments pulled out 60 gene variants by assessing their affect on gene exercise in T cells.
- Every cell within the physique comes from one other, and now UW researchers have traced the origins of cells within the mouse mind by taking a look at how mutations collected in parental cells are handed on. The authors used single-cell RNA sequencing to detect such mutations.
E book tour:
- Invoice Gates spoke with The Day by day Present host Trevor Noah about his new guide, “Tips on how to Stop the Subsequent Pandemic.”
Well being tech:
- UW Drugs scientific affiliate professor Hillary Liss and Seattle doctor Jennifer Jones-Vanderleest have been acknowledged with a expertise award from the American Academy of HIV Drugs and the Institute for Know-how in Well being Care. The pair assist the well being of incarcerated individuals with HIV in King County by means of a telemedicine partnership.
- Well being advantages platform firm Accolade has teamed up with Rx Financial savings Options, which gives suggestions to decrease prescription drugs prices and different providers. The partnership comes after a latest announcement that Accolade will lose long-time buyer Comcast, which represents lower than 10% of the corporate’s income. Accolade reported $310 million in income for its fiscal yr 2022, an 82% enhance from the earlier interval. Its inventory has been buying and selling at all-time lows.